Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sexuality, substance use, and my genuine hate for "straight-edge"

One thing I have resented since emerging into adolescence is the government's curious desire to get in our pants and our veins.

There's nothing in our national Constitution that has any language or slightest hint of implication of the denial of sexual/reproductive rights. That doesn't mean the states have tried to weasel their way around that.

For example, a piece of Oregon law essentially states that public schools can't promote tolerance of LGBTs; I'd wager other states have it worse.

On to substance use.

What in our lovely national Constitution (no sarcasm intended, seriously, and I suppose with the obvious exception of "general welfare") says Americans don't have the right to use cocaine or whatever if they want to? NONE OF IT.

Early drug laws made sense (Progressive Era, 1870s-1910s), for the most part they restricted the prescription of medications containing serious narcotics (cocaine, opiates, et cetera) from children (which then meant under 14, it was an age when you could get a job and help support your family, and be taken at least a little bit more seriously by society).

Makes sense, doesn't it? Doctors shouldn't recommend potentially harmful and addictive substances to children, who are probably the most susceptible to the negative consequences of use.

The luxurious times preceding the Great Depression lured people with shitloads money to racist and so-called "puritanical" beliefs, (the temperance movement as it's now known, and maybe you get my wind when I say I don't think Carrie Nation was particularly fond of non-whites...). As the Great Depression rolled in, prohibition became incredibly unpopular as alcoholism ran wild.

Now before I put you to sleep with more history, let's zoom forward back to the early 21st century: alcohol is legal and heavily taxed, the government says alcohol use is naughty and bad, but you can still get off with a 0.08 blood-alcohol level (which is a lot of fucking booze, believe it or not). Right, so according to all of those factors, the government profits off of a more or less widespread addiction (I have no problem with that, actually), but where it gets sticky for me is how you CAN drive drunk legally, and why if its such a damned lucrative income for the government, is it also condemned by the government?

And that's just alcohol.

Imagine how we would flourish if we legalized and taxed cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and all the other goodies Americans crave? NO SARCASM WHATSOEVER.

We could get rid of our ridiculous national debt in a few weeks!

What makes me sigh in exasperation is this bizarre lobby to "legalize and tax" marijuana. I only have one thing to say to that:

DUMBASSES, THAT WON'T DO THE GOVERNMENT OF SHIT OF GOOD, THAT SHIT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO REGULATE AND SECONDLY NOBODY IS SERIOUSLY ADDICTED TO WEED SO HOW THE HELL WOULD THAT BE BENEFICIAL FOR THE GOVERNMENT ANYWAYS, FUCK YOU, GOODBYE.

If Mary Jane is legal, anyone should be able to grow it in their yard with out the DEA wagging their fat fingers at them.

My final ranting note is my collective hate towards a certain kind of elitist mentality: Straight-Edge.

I don't have a problem with what anybody chooses to/not to consume, meth, weed, crack, whatever, what matters is your attitude.

Some people wear this smug "straight-edge" banner with a fucked up sense of pride like they know better and therefore ARE better. And here is my response to that:

FUCK YOU AND YOUR POMPOUS UNINEBRIATED ASS! GET A LIFE, DON'T STRUT AROUND THINKING YOU'RE SOME GREAT PERSON BECAUSE YOU "JUST SAY NO". GEORGE W. BUSH WAS CLEAN ALL FUCKING 8 YEARS OF HIS "PRESIDENCY" AND HE WAS STILL A JACKASS AND A CLOWN. AND JUST FOR EFFECT, FUCK YOU!

I'm sure I have a few more constructive things to say about substance use and sexuality but I am quite tired now and I think I shall retire shortly. Post your enamorance/hate below.

No comments:

Post a Comment